Monday, October 02, 2006

Let's All Burn Out Together

I am inspired by August Strindberg's The Ghost Sonata, and I think that I am going to try to write a play.

I like Strindberg because he's so miserable. And because he hated Ibsen. And because (I suspect) he hated women.

Anyway, read The Ghost Sonata and dig what I am digging. It is bizarre and wonderful, and I don't want to subject it to too much deconstructive criticism because once you get something, it's dead in a lot of ways. This, I think, is especially true with theater.

My other lit class begs to differ, but fuck it. There's a distinct difference between modernism and Edmund Spenser.

Speaking of Spenser, I'll be spending the night with him.

I'll leave you with this:

MUMMY. But I can stop time in its course. I can wipe out the past and undo what is done. but not with bribes, not with threats-- only through suffering and repentance. (She goes up to the old man) We are miserable human beings, that we know. We have erred and we have sinned, we like all the rest. We are not what we seem, because at the bottom we are better than ourselves, since we detest our sins.

No comments: