Monday, October 02, 2006

Red Sox Wrap Up

Yesterday, some guy I never heard of pitched five perfect innings before a rain out and the Red Sox beat the Orioles 9-0. It was a disappointing year for the Sox, and this offseason promises to be even more tumultuous than the last, what with the Manny Ramirez question, the probable departure of Trot Nixon, the announced move of Jonathan Papelbon to the starting rotation, Keith Foulke's retirement "threats," etc.

I dodn't write much about the Red Sox this year, mostly because, like everyone else, I smelled the smoke when Josh Beckett started giving up more home runs than anyone in the history of the world. The Globe put out an analysis of each player, and I'm going to kind of do the same thing, just to put some closure on this shit.

I like Kevin Youkilis. I think a lot of people like Kevin Youkilis. He plays like a Red Sox guy that everyone would like. He's versatile, and he gets pissed really easily, and I like that.

Mark Loretta is like the new John Olerud. He's quiet, and when you read his stats, you think "Jesus, he's doing that well?" His defense is stellar, and he hit better than Youkilis on the year at .285, which, you know, I really don't have a problem with. A consistent .285 hitter is just as good if not better than someone hitting .330 and then occasionally going on a 2 for 65 streak because it's a certain month. (cough, Manny Ramirez, cough).

When it comes to Alex Gonzalez's glove, I'm sold. That's all I'll say on the subject.

Mike Lowell surprised us all by being consistent (putting up numbers almost exactly like Loretta), and more of an impact than Josh Beckett, the guy that was supposed to lead us to the World Series. I can't take any issue with the infield.

Everyone loves Alex Cora, but can he play every day? We said that about Kevin Youkilis, and we were wrong, but we're going to be right eventually. I'm a little wary.

Who the hell is Dustin Pedroia? New prospect, top of the line, ship shape- 1 for 40 in his first 40 at bats. Fuck him, I've been nice to everyone else.

Jason Varitek is clearly a huge part of the pitching aspect, and he struggled with injuries, but he's also a dick, I learned this summer.

Doug Mirabelli doesn't wear batting gloves.

Manny Ramirez is a sociopath. A sociopath who hits .320.

Coco Crisp played hurt for most of the season, but you can't make too many excuses- the guy was supposed to be a lot better than he was. He didn't reach our expectations.

Eric Hinske isn't even going to be mentioned.

I'm not going to say anything bad about Wily Mo Pena because he's a monster and I think he knows who I am.

It doesn't matter what I think of Trot Nixon. He was a cool guy, he'll be gone soon, and he totally does steroids. I mean, his muscle seperated from the bone while he was swinging the bat.

Gabe Kapler gets an A regardless of his performance.

David Ortiz.

Josh Beckett was beyond disappointing, but keep in mind that he's moving to the toughest division in baseball, and he's a hothead. He'll calm down, I think.

Matt Clement's injuries will end his career.

Manny Delcarmen is going to be good.

What the hell is the deal with Keith Foulke's rebound in September?

Hansen is young, and he's going to get shelled for awhile.

I love Jon Lester, but it appears that he has cancer. I don't know what the deal is with that. I hope he's okay.

Javier Lopez was supposed to strike out lefties. Lefties hit .250, righties hit .200.

Jonathan Papelbon should be rookie of the year.

Curt Schilling is too religious.

Further evidence that Rudy Seanez is the living dead:
The image “http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/09/26/1159309684_8199.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

There is no way in hell that you're interested in what I think of Kyle Snyder.

Julian Tavarez can start and punch Carl Crawford, but he can't pitch relief.

Mike Timlin is old, but I'll bet he has a good year next year. I have a feeling.

Tim Wakefield can pitch until he's 50 if he wants to.

I used to hate David Wells, now I love him.

- - - -

As a total wrap, not much can be said for pitching and hitting, which were both terrible if you look at the numbers, but, on the bright and noble side, the Globe did have this to say:

The Red Sox committed only 66 errors on the season. No other team in baseball committed less than 80, while the Nationals committed almost twice as many (131). Sox shortstop Alex Gonzalez and third baseman Mike Lowell could sweep the Gold Gloves for the left side of the infield, while Kevin Youkilis and Mark Loretta both had solid defensive years.
That's something.

I've got to take a nap before class.


No comments: